Sunday, June 6, 2010

Tales of Javier the Crayfish

Yesterday, I went to my very first crayfish boil!  Great timing before the oil slick hit the beaches.


I had to premedicate because I'm allergic to shellfish, and there was no way I was going to miss out on this.  Come on, tons of crayfish, other food and beer! How could a college student in the South say "no"?!
I armed myself with benedryll and sunscreen and made it to the boil.  It was fantastic!!!  I finally learned how to properly eat a crawdad like a Louisiana Native!

1.  Hold the crawdad with both hands at the base of its tail and head.
2.  Twist the sucker gently to seperate it.
3.  Suck out the yummines in the head (mostly spices, and no, you will not get any brains in your mouth)
5.  Gently peel the tail armor and slide out the meat.
6.  EAT!!!!!

The guys boiling the crayfish boiled potatoes, mushrooms, corn and garlic, along with some spices they wouldn't let me get a hold of.  Needless to say, it was delicious and I only flared u once!!  The day progressed as we listened to a mix of old rock and roll, booty, crunk beats and the like.  It's great to have the beatles playing, then switch it up to Jeezy!

Every year, the guys also choose to save one crayfish.  This year, his name was Javier, and I had the honor of keeping him alive!  That is, until he died last night at approx. 12:30AM.  He was dubbed, the most interesting Crayfish in the world.  Unlike his brethren, he spent the day by the pool with some very attractive college girls and hanging out with some wild and crazy college guys.  He made the other crawdads very jealous, I'm sure.

Unfortunately, toward the end, it started pouring! It was torrential!  That didn't slow down the party at all.  People in the pool didn't get out and people eating crawdads never stopped! It's like the rain was never there.

3 comments:

x-treme blog said...

I never had so much fun in college! I am jealous! But we still don't know what does crayfish tastes like?

Alissa Margaret said...

a) I totally should've come up!
b) the idea of eating crayfish grosses me out
c) poor Javier!
d) I'm glad you didn't die
e) I miss you =)

FABunny said...

Tia: Crayfish tastes like shrimp YUM!
Allie: I miss you too!!!! New Orleans will make up for you net being there!!